Admittedly, most IT professionals would not characterize the threat and consequences of cyberattack as a ‘game’. To most, it is best characterized as a ‘war’. But “that’s not exactly right” writes Martin Barrett in a recent article on the SecurityIntelligence website.
He makes a good case – though many of us IN the game aren’t always having a good time playing it!
He discusses a free resource that you might find helpful. The free e-book titled “Staying Ahead of the Cyber Security Game” may be a little dated (published in 2014) but it offers some suggestions that are still valid and helpful for IT professionals that desire to take a strategic approach to cybersecurity.
The e-book clearly identifies the major challenges that IT professionals face on a daily basis and offers tangible steps for dealing with them. Some of the topics include:
- Alignment between security and IT operations in creating a plan for incident response;
- Security by design in the software development process;
- Shadow IT and how businesses accommodate cloud-based applications to enable workers;
- Making security work for users so they don’t need to work around it;
- Thinking like an attacker and finding your own weaknesses before the bad guys do;
- How to recover from a breach — because it’s a matter of when, not if; and
- Learning how to avoid making the same mistakes over and over again.
The e-book is a great resource and can be read in whole or by topics of interest. Click the link above for the free download.
As you already know, the Network Security and Management Team at NordStar Group can be a trusted, strategic partner for your IT needs. We are not only gold-level resellers for all industry-leading manufacturers in the technology realm, we are also able to provide cyber security services like penetration testing, breach detection and remediation. Give us a call for a free cybersecurity consultation to discover the many ways that we can partner with you in the ‘game’ of cybersecurity.